Sunday, April 03, 2005

"Is it getting better? Or do you feel the same?"

Alright, so here's a long overdue post. (Get off my case, Zack.) It's been a pretty good semester so far, although it's nearly over. This is a rather frightening realization - the so-called "best years of our lives" are coming to a close. College was (IS!) a blast, and I'm not ready for it to be over. Nor am I ready to get a job. At some point in the next month an apartment must be found as well, but we still aren't even sure what group is going to be in for the search. I could really use an extra week to get everything taken care of, because it really seems that there's way too much to do in the next month and a half. Spring Break II, anyone? In addition to apartment hunting there are the dreaded final exams, along with the even more dreaded final papers. (20 pages on Virgil's Aeneid? Fine. Wait, I have to say something original about it too? Aw crap.) And my life for the next two weeks is going to be consumed by the play and the movie that I'm doing. Alright, you creepy e-stalkers, get your pens out: I'm doing a show called "Bash" by Neil LaBute. It's running April 14th - 17th, with 8 p.m. shows Thursday to Saturday and 2 p.m. matinees on Saturday and Sunday. The location is UNDER St. Marks, between 1st Ave. and Ave. A. Tickets are $7 and can be reserved at bashtix@gmail.com. Come watch. I'll also be acting in a movie, if the weather and my schedule ever permit.

Alright, what else has been going on? My real spring break was cool. Zack and his buddy Wes came out, then Andy came, then O'Con and my cousin Dave and his friends Jordan and Will came....madness! 7 visitors in two weeks was kind of a lot, but I actually had a really good time with everybody, and I think all of them enjoyed their stays as well. School is...well, school. It's a continual pain to wake up for morning classes (one more reason that getting an actual job is probably gonna suck). I'm taking 18 credits, although that's a bit misleading because six of those are music lessons. Unfortunately, the two classes I'm taking for my major are both unenjoyable. The only actual academic class I'm really liking is the most demanding: "Reading Virgil's Aeneid", taught by the Dean. It's an awesome class, although the aforementioned 20-pager is going to really bite, especially since my time is becoming more and more packed with rehearsals for the next little while. I should probably be going over my lines right now rather than writing this, but oh well. (Savor it, Bergevin, savor it.) I also applied and interviewed with Teach For America last week. I kinda doubt that I'd do it, even if I do get accepted, but I guess we'll see.

Women: another source of constant annoyance. Why is it so damn hard to figure out what they're thinking? Even when it seems like they're being straightforward they usually aren't. I never know what's going on. And the majority of them seem to simply be evil incarnate, intent on causing chaos for males everywhere. Do they actually enjoy screwing with our heads? It certainly appears so, at least much of the time....this rant brought to you by cyber-Byron! Like Byron, but with more melancholy and bitterness!

On to happier writing - music. The violin is coming along okay, considering the lack of effort I'm putting into it. I practice very little, but I'm working on Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" at the moment. I haven't played much guitar lately either. Damn. Gotta get on that. I'm listening to U2's "Actung, Baby" right now. Such a good album. I've got tickets to see them next month, which is going to be awesome. They're one of my favorite live shows. I might go see The Eagles next week. That would be pretty cool too. James Taylor is playing this summer, but it's during the week that I'm going to Alaska, so I won't be able to see him. I would say it's a bummer, because I love James, but Alaska is going to be awesome. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, dad and brother are all going (with the possible exception of David, the cousin who visited me. I really hope he comes too). It's going to be a blast.

Okay, this should be enough to tide you over until I make another post. (By "you" I refer to the legions and armies of rabid fans hungrily awaiting word of the amazing and interesting goings-on in my life.) It probably won't be another three months before I once again update the electronic world, but I make no promises. I'll wrap up with a (slightly modified) short piece I wrote last Autumn. Now that nice weather is on the way *crosses fingers* it seems appropriate again.

"Sunlight seems scarce in many parts of lower Manhattan. On certain crisp mornings a person exiting shadow to walk through a patch of rays will often slow down slightly, as if the sunlight were viscous, as if the person were an ant trying to walk through honey or molasses…no, those are too thick, people don't really go that slowly. It's Manhattan, it's New York, it's the city that never sleeps and never slows down and neither can you while you're in it. But many pedestrians do slow briefly while they walk through this brightness that filters between the skyscrapers, and then resume their speedy strides as soon as they re-enter the shade, and the slow brightness and its warmth both fade like a dream dissipating upon awakening."

Here's to sunny days!

2 Comments:

Blogger Zack said...

Your blog blows an infinite amount of goats.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Byron said...

Your goat blows an infinite amount of blogs.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home